Pages

Friday, August 26, 2011

Blackfoot River: Canoe Scouting Trip

On Monday and Tuesday of this week I got an amazing opportunity to go on a canoe scouting trip on the upper portion of the Blackfoot River, which is just east of Missoula.  My friend Becky was scouting the river for possible future use by the Explore college program and needed a paddling partner.  I offered myself because I remembered paddling as a kid and I am interested in getting more involved in whitewater canoe ventures.  We paddled twenty-four miles in two days.  It was relaxing and quiet after a long summer of working with and alongside multitudes of people.  The section we did was from Cedar Grove to Russell Gates.  We spent Monday night camped at River Junction.  It was a fairly calm area with mostly ripple sections and several areas with quite a few strainers.  There was only one rapid section that followed the box canyon that we paddled through.  It was a good opportunity for me to practice paddling strokes and learn to steer.
The view from the back of the canoe
Our campsite at River Junction
A cozy night's stay
Our tent is on the far right

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...