Pages

Thursday, May 21, 2009

Delicacy of Life

As I passed through my room today, I paused to look at the board of pictures and writings that I have acquired through the years. A small green sheet caught my eye today. That slip of paper contains a poem that my cousin Ben wrote some years ago.

Life is as delicate as a flower.
It blossoms in the daylight
And spreads love as it opens its petals.
Love is as beautiful as a butterfly.
It is a cocoon that is only opened by the love
God gives us,
And it spreads its wings to share with the world.
The butterfly will meet the flower
And the world's life is filled with love.

This poem always strikes me with its simplicity. There is also a bit of irony in the words. Ben died when a car struck him. His life was as delicate as a flower. He was a fun kid, who always had simple wisdom hidden beneath a sarcastic comment.
I vividly remember going to devil's log slide in the UP and being too scared to go down with everyone. He simply told me that I would never really want to go down because it wasn't really that neat. I got upset and decided I had to see for myself. With all my fear, I went down...and surprise, I had fun. He smiled and just chuckled. Yeah...that was my cousin Ben.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...