Pages

Wednesday, May 13, 2009

1952 Cocktail Dress Project

Note from my Dove chocolate: The most enjoyable experiences are often free.

For my sister's wedding I decided to make my bridesmaid dress. Their were only two specifications that my sister gave for the dress: first, it must be black and second, it must be tea-length. I immediately decided that I wanted a 1950's style dress, with a swing style skirt. After much searching, I realized it was difficult to find a vintage dress on a budget. It came time to make my own dress. Here is the pattern I decided on:






Last week I began to cut and put together the pieces of the dress. Overall, it seems to be the most technical pattern I have ever sewn. (Actually, if I had to admit, I have never really sewn from a pattern in a bag. So, this is my first. It feels a bit like reading a foreign language) For sewing I am using my handy friend the sea foam green sewing machine out of the basement.


So, here is to begininng this project hoping for a good ending! At the moment I am working on basting together the lining and skirt. (For all of these pictures I used my Canon XSI Digital)












2 comments:

  1. maybe you should sew more instead of talking pictures........j/k :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, the pictures are for your benefit. I know that I am more of a visual person, so these are to help you envision what I am doing...chuckle.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...